My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Monday, June 19, 2006

A Cymbal of Our Love



I have already mentioned my son the drummer and the little drum kit we got him for his third birthday. At first, we hesitated to get it for him, because the catalogue indicated that it was for “ages four and up.” Maybe he wouldn’t be ready for it. Quite the contray, it was not ready for him. Within the first month, he busted the head of the snare drum. We brought it into the local drum shop and they worked hard to find a replacement head that fit, finally landing on the ingenious idea of using a banjo head. About a month ago, the cymbal broke, though this was no huge loss given that it was always the weak link in this cheap little kit, sounding tinny and thin even in its prime. We shelled out a little over a hundred bucks for the kit, and I guess we got what we paid for.


Last week, O’s replacement cymbal came, an honest-to-god Zildjian cymbal and stand. O. was beside himself with excitement, and since then he has told just about every person he’s talked to about his new cymbal. Ever since the day he got his drums, O. has gone through the same ritual each time we walk down the basement stairs to go “rock out.” He crouches as he gets to the middle of the stairs, as if to be able to see his drums just a moment earlier, and then exclaims “there’s my drums!” as though he wasn’t 100% sure they’d still be there. Now he’s added a new element to the ritual, the earnest profession “I love my new cymbal.”



I can see why he loves it. It truly is beautiful, both to look at and to hear. Instead of a thudding little tin shot, it has a clear, sonorous ring and responds to different intensities of impact with a variety of sounds, from a soft, clipped tsk tsk tsk to a full, echoing crash. It’s a good thing it sounds so nice, because it was damned expensive. It would have cost about $100 if it hadn’t been for our friend’s discount at the music supply company he works for (thanks big O!). As it was we paid merely $50. It’s a good thing I didn’t realize how fucking expensive drum parts are, or I might not have been as exuberant in my desire to encourage little O’s percussive proclivities. But really, it wouldn’t have mattered. This is any rockstar-wannabe mama’s wet dream.


6 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

OH Yeah. I see a little rock star in the making. But let's make him a little less Tommy lee, all right? That dude is whack.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great photo of O. rockin' out. I actually was thinking of him earlier today while watching the "I'm With the Band" episode of "Freaks and Geeks." I'm sure O. will be able to ace his audition for Dimension when he's in high school.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet.

My little girl was tinkering away at a friend's piano on the weekned and it actually sounded very impressive for someone who didn't know what they were doing. Sort of Shine-ish, but still. Very cool.

3:42 AM  
Blogger E. said...

No, Dawn, no Tommy Lee! If O. starts exhibiting Lee-like signs, we'll take him in and have him deprogrammed immediately.

D-Man, get that girl a little keyboard - I bet she'll be out-shining Shine in no time.

It's funny that you mention Freaks and Geeks, Elizabeth, because (for reasons that are too complex to go into in a commment box) I have "Figure out how to play 'Lady L'" on my list of things to do today (shouldn't be too hard, given that Nick only knows a few chords). Maybe I'll post the chords and lyrics when I do. In any case, I'll be watching episode 14 ("Dead Dogs and Gym Teachers") some time today. Ah, Freaks and Geeks...

8:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is something about drums that works its magic in children. Is it the feel of the bones vibrating with each crash of drumstick? My older brother took to the intrument when he was 2 years old and still plays them with all the enthusiasm he has 28 years later. May the same happen for your little rocker.
Thanks for the comments, by the by. It's fantabulous. :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

TOTALLY post the chords and lyrics to "Lady L" when you've got it down (which, I agree, shouldn't take too long).

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home