My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Monday, February 27, 2006

You Gotta Plan for Your Right to Paaarty


Saturday night my man and I had our first adults-only party since O. was born. We planned several weeks in advance so that our friends with kids would have plenty of time to wrangle babysitters. I called Feral Mom to give her a heads-up. “We’re having an adult party on February 25th, so get a babysitter,” I said. “An adult party?” she replied, “Are you going to have strippers?” We didn’t hire strippers, though we planned to remain open to any amateur stripping that our guests might want to engage in after a few glasses of wine.

Despite a rash of illness and injury among our set this weekend (one knee surgery, one toddler too sick to leave with a sitter, and one breast infection) the party was a success. No stripping and, alas, no spontaneous dancing, but plenty of eating, drinking, and amiability. I was just excited to be able to have conversations proceed without periodic interruptions to check on the whereabouts of a child, intervene in a sharing issue, or pull a climber off the bookshelves. I love watching O. in social situations, and I feel lucky that my friends have great kids I take true pleasure in hanging out with, but it’s nice for once to stay up late kicking back with the grown ups and swearing freely.

Our sweet but neurotic cat even made an appearance at the party, recalling the days when she would emerge when we had company to get some extra affection from our friends. Since the advent of O., she hides whenever we have people over, because there are always little children present and she wisely avoids the under-five set like the unpredictable tail pullers they are. Last night she lounged among our guests, mooching ear scratches and proudly displaying the pendulous belly she keeps bald through vigilant hypergrooming.

Anyway, parties. Fun. Now that we’re getting our party chops back we’ll hopefully be able to inspire some dancing at our next adults-only shindig. Maybe even some good-natured stripping among friends.



P.S You’ll be glad to know that even though I was quite toasted by the time I went to bed around 1:30 AM, I still remembered to brush and floss. No drunk tongue scraping though – that could be dangerous.

10 Comments:

Blogger Bored Housewife said...

Aaaaaah! That sounds awesome. Nothing better than taking back a little piece of your life, if only for one evening.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Have I...?

Have I in the last 9 years...?

Been to a grownup party?

OH MAN, MY LIFE SUCKS!

I gotta work on that party thing, and plan for a hangover day afterwards....

7:42 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Do it, Mona, do it. And if you drink a ridiculous amount of water before bed, you might be able to avoid the hangover, though you may piss your sheets. (Me, I'd rather wet the bed than spend a day hanging. But that's a matter of personal preference.)

8:06 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Post kids, those parties sure don't hold the same luster the next day though do they? Even if I don't do any drinking, I still have that hang over feel from being up too late and up too early!

But it's fun while it lasts.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

damn, I'm sorry we couldn't be there. sounds like it was a good party. incidentally, is Blue's belly really still bald? so she just got attached to the baldness, eh? I applaud her for that - if only Donald Trump would follow suit, the world would be a better place.

9:07 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Yes, Elizabeth, our beast's paunch is still bald. She works hard to keep it that way. Her bare white belly looks kind of disgusting when she rolls on her back, contrasted with her black fur. But I look at it as a personal choice and try not to let it bug me. It's like she got a feline piercing or a tattoo. She's just doing her own thing, the little freak.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

I like to think of it as Blue's Brazilian.

12:30 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Yeah, Feral Mom! My cat is the hard core. She gives herself a brazilian. Youch!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Jeff Janusch said...

Hey, glad to see you have decided to actually start posting("no turning back....no turning baaaack").

Fuckers. Call us for the next one. It's a rare treat to hang with our child-laden friends when the little sprogs are absent for the night. Believe me, we'll make the drive down.

SACK! SACK! SACK! SACK!

10:26 AM  
Blogger E. said...

Man, Jeff, we should have! Look how out of practice we are. Next time, for certain.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home