My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Storage Solutions by O.

The other day I came into the bathroom and found O. assiduously stuffing all his bath toys into his shiny red kiddie toilet. “Whoa! Stop! You shouldn’t put your toys in there, honey!” I said.

“But there was no poop or pee in it,” he explained. (O. has recently developed the ability to present simple reasoned arguments, though sometimes their basic assumptions are, in my view, flawed.)

“Well, I’m glad there was no poop or pee in it. But you still shouldn’t put your toys in there. Never put toys in your toilet.”

O. looked pensive. “Then why is the toilet’s first name toy?” He asked, a wondering expression on his little face.

That’s a logic I cannot argue with. Or rather I can, but I just don’t want to. (It's too delightfully silly, not to mention true.) “That is a very good point, O. Now take your toys out of the crapper and don’t put them in there again. And don’t put anything else in there, either.”

“But I can put poop and pee.” Of course. Always the stickler for details.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

Damn it - that's some good logic. There IS a "toy" in toilet - isn't there....

8:12 PM  
Blogger DoctorMama said...

It reminds me of the sign I often see in public restrooms: "Please do not put anything other than toilet paper into the toilet." I always think, I kind of HAVE to put a couple things in there that don't fit that classification!"

8:47 AM  
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Ah! You 'let' the 'toy' in there.

That's one smart kid!

9:48 AM  
Blogger E. said...

Yep, there is a "toy" in toilet - and I'd never noticed. Of course, at our house, there's sometimes more than one toy in there...

He is a smart one. He's already getting so good at offering explanations and counterarguments, I fear for myself and my Old Man when he's actually reached "the age of reason." We'll be done for.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

O. cracks me up. He's so smart. Nice profile pic, by the way. :) I'm going to call you soon. Really.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

Mmm. Keep the anecdotes coming. They're truly funny and rather heartening.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home