My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Monday, May 01, 2006

Toothy Mug, Porch Chair, No New War, May Day...

After months of attempting off and on to figure out how to post a picture up near my profile, I finally managed it via much trial and error. I feel more than a little victorious.

The picture I chose has all kinds of crap in the background because it was taken on my front porch. You can see some mustard yellow off over my shoulder to the left. That's my Old Man's favorite chair, a horribly skanky old thing we've had forever, inherited from one of his grad school roommates. When we bought our house last spring after years of renting, we finally found a way to compromise on the ongoing "is that chair getting too nasty to keep?" debate: we put it out on the porch. (I actually intended at one time to spend money to get a slipcover made for it, because my man loves it and I love my man. But it finally got too saggy and sad to even warrant that.) To the left of the little patch of mustard yellow you'll see some red, white, and blue. That's our "End the War Now. Bring the Troops Home." sign, which got knocked over in a Midwestern winter storm a couple months back. It's all dirty and needs to be cleaned off and put back up, because God knows the war is still with us. And it looks like it's about to spread, what with Bush starting the "weapons of mass destruction" spiel with Iran. (He claims to want to work things out diplomatically, but we know he's a lying sack of shit.) Do you think it's possible that the American people could rise up and stop this catastrophic war from spreading to yet another nation? I fucking hope so. If you're not already fully abreast of these ominous new developments and want to find out why expanding the war to Iran would be a horribly stupid and counterproductive move, check out the Stop War on Iran blog and find out what Seymour Hersh and others have to say about it. You can sign a petition to voice your opposition to war against Iran and find out about more active things you can do to oppose the spread of war at stopwaroniran.org.

And happy May Day! If you love weekends and prefer not to work more than eight hours a day, you have much to thank the labor movement for. Check out Bughouse Square for some news on how the recently reinvigorated immigrant rights movement is reviving May Day in the US this year.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Nice photo! Great teeth! I saw a version of your sign, a new one, across the street..."Support the Troops...End the War". I should get me one-a those....

8:44 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

We got so angry today listening to both the Iran bullshit AND the illegal immigrant bullshit, we had to turn off the media - in complete silence. I mean Christ on a Triscuit, people.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Bored Housewife said...

I heartily apologize for not reading the whole post. I have two damn good reasons, though.
1. you are so completely and utterly adorable that I can hardly stand not grabbing you up and either pinching your cheeks or kissing each one. and
2. my final paper is printing and when it's done (crap, it's done) I have to make like a bread truck (and haul buns) and get to campus to drop it off before 5. Rush hour anyone? Bah. I'm such a procrastinator.

3:08 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Thanks, Mona! Word up, Dawn! And Lisa, I'll take the kisses, and I hope that paper is aces. (I love writing English papers, but thank the heavens I never had to write one on Frankenstein. Ye gad.)

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links - I'm off to check them out. Geez, can we just impeach the guy already?

(Nice photo. I was thinking, "What straight teeth!" and then I remembered the name of your blog.)

6:44 PM  
Blogger E. said...

In the words of my favorite recent protest sign: "Will somebody please give Bush a blowjob so we can impeach him?"

4:18 PM  
Blogger Orange said...

Great smile! Those teeth look lovingly flossed and brushed.

6:24 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Thanks, Orange. Lovingly, that's the word.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home