My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Monday, April 06, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

1. I was born in Normal, Illinois.

2. I was relieved that my feet didn’t get bigger during either of my two pregnancies.

3. I believe in the value of 8 hours of sleep a night.

4. Despite my ongoing efforts to spice it up, my wardrobe consists mostly of solid-colored clothing in black, grey, dark red, and earthy greens.

5. I met Allen Ginsberg when I was a toddler, though I have no memory of it.

6. I like coffee, but I love tea.

7. I’ve been a vegetarian for twenty years (!), though I’m not especially strict. (I’ve been known to eat a slice of pizza after picking the pepperoni off.)

8. I have a committed and intense relationship with dark chocolate.

9. Every time I watch the complete first season of Freaks and Geeks, I have to go through a new mourning period, lamenting that there was never a second season. (You couldn’t let us have just one more season, you NBC bastards?!)

10. I love my job. I enjoy teaching about 96% of the time.

11. I think you’re either a natural at teaching or not, and if you don’t have it, it’s unlikely that any education class is going to help you become a great teacher. But I also know that lack of preparation can kill anyone’s teaching.

12. I once thought very seriously of getting a smiling tooth tattooed on my arm.

13. I have no tattoos.

14. I’ve kept a journal since I was 17.

15. My Old Man makes me laugh every day.

16. Speaking of "My Old Man," I'm currently writing a series of poems, one for each song on Joni Mitchell's Blue album. At this point, I've written drafts for nine out of ten.

17. I eat a carrot with my lunch every school day, but almost never eat carrots on the weekend. Or during the summer.

18. I think I look better with my glasses on.

19. I’m gratified that despite the clear trend to give kids quaint Old People Names, my son O’s quaint old-fashioned name remains only in the 900s on the Social Security Administrations recent lists of most commonly used names.

20. I haven't played chess on a regular basis since I was in high school, but I want to start again.

21. I don’t regret voting for Ralph Nader in the 2000 election. (I do regret that Al Gore watered himself down so much in the run-up to the 2000 election.)

22. I hate uncomfortable shoes and only wear shoes that I can walk a mile in. Except when I dress up, and then I’m continually taking my shoes off under the table.

23. I like my hair better short, but for some reason feel the need to suffer through growing it out every four years or so.

24. I’ve never had a manicure or a pedicure.

25. I read at least one poem every day.

(Note that there's nothing about oral hygiene on this list, because my oral hygiene facts are essential rather than random. Maybe next I'll do "Ten Random Oral Hygiene Facts.")

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Technically speaking, dearest, you were born in Bloomington. (However, the hospital you were born in seems somehow to have disappeared into the ever-expanding "campus" of the State Farm Insurance empire.) Your father and I were living in Normal at the time, however, so you do have that claim to fame.

yr ma

My word verification word is "detiven," which sounds like some new drug.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home