My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Saturday, June 25, 2011

It's (Almost) Always a Good Time to Floss

I support flossing. I advocate flossing. I floss daily, and encourage my loved ones to do the same. Occasionally, I even floss in public. (Oh so discreetly, of course. Or not. But whatever.)

I recently witnessed a public display of flossing, however, that I disapproved of. Strongly. Flossing behind the wheel. DWF - Driving While Flossing. No!

A few days ago, on the first leg of my family's annual trip out to the Jersey Shore to spend three weeks or so with my beloved in-laws, we were sailing down Interstate 70, my Old Man in the driver's seat and me riding shotgun, kids throwing stuffed animals back and forth in the back seat, when I turned to my right and witnessed this atrocity: A dude flossing his teeth while driving. As anyone who cares about oral hygiene and has ever had a really bad paper cut on one index finger can tell you, you need two hands to floss. This guy was flossing, both hands off the wheel and busily engaged in what would otherwise have been a wholesome exercise in healthy teeth and gum care. I was appalled.

I beg you, good people: when you're behind the wheel and feel the need to floss your teeth, pull over. The same goes for texting, downloading ring tones, applying make-up, or eating tacos. All you should be doing while you're driving is concentrating on the road and conducting your one-ton vehicle down the highways and byways that other motorists are also using. Our lives are in your hands, dude.

Let me say it again: our lives are in your hands.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jeremy Killian said...

If using the mobile phone while driving is bad, then flossing while driving is even worse. When you're driving, both your eyes and your mind should be concentrated on the road. It's okay to do it before bedtime, after taking a long drive, right? :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger E. said...

Before bedtime after taking a long drive is one of my favorite times to floss. I admit that I've flossed in a moving car, but only while in the passenger seat.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Dental Exams Ft. Lauderdale said...

Flossing behind the wheel is certainly not a good idea. It will be quite difficult to concentrate on the road. It is dangerous to floss behind the wheels. It is good to floss every day but it is not safe to floss behind the wheels.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Mydent International said...

You're a fabulous writer! While flossing is important, we need to do it when appropriate - when we wake up in the morning, go to bed, or after we eat, not while driving!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Tate said...

Completely agree as food builds up quickly.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home