My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Monday, September 03, 2007

Hand Me That Twig, Will Ya?

My due date is one week from today. Part of me, the geek part, really wanted to go into labor today. Labor Day, get it? It would've been like a biological pun. But actually, I'm fine with waiting a bit longer. (Not too much longer.)

I'm definitely nesting, though. I have papers to grade, classes to plan, a desk to clean, but I find myself drawn to other tasks. Like putting contact paper in the drawers of the dresser I recently bought at a garage sale, a dresser intended for baby clothes and O. clothes. As I stood out on my porch this morning, washing the cobwebs out of the drawers and measuring contact paper to fit into each drawer bottom, I found myself wondering "Why am I doing this?" Not the cobweb-cleaning part, but the contact paper part. I've never put contact paper into a drawer before. It just seems like something you do when you get a dresser. I'm sure there's a good reason - I just don't know what that reason might be. Anyway, it's done now.

I think we're ready. The new car is bought; the old car is sold. The infant seat is installed. The bassinette is put together (no thanks to the motherfuckers who bought it before us and returned it to the store without the directions and with parts that were supposed to be pre-assembled taken apart... my Old Man deserves a special award for figuring out how the damn thing works). My cock-eyed plan to transform our queen-sized bed to a king in order to faciliate a co-sleeping infant in the middle and nightly visits from a four-year-old on the edge seems to have worked (ask me for details before I patent the technique).

Now we're just waiting for the contractions to begin...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! It seems like you were just telling everyone you were preggers! That went fast - at least in cyberspace.
Can't wait to hear how having two is!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

This has all happened much too fast. You just got pregnant.

I hope you write from the hospital like I did.

I'm so excited.

Today I told my husband about how you and your son and husband are a band and your son loves (loved?) the white stripes.

You are paramount of cool.

Have a baby.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

As Tom Petty reminds us, the waiting is the hardest part. Then again, he never had to push out a baby.

I am so BUMMED I won't be in town to help welcome your daughter to the world. But I will be there in spirit, sending you lots and lots of mother-vibes. You're in my heart.

3:04 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Thanks to all my well-wishers. I will get on here and give you the news as soon after the event as I can manage. Esereth, I'd love to post from the hospital, but I'm not sure my tech savvy is advanced enough. We are bringing a mix CD for the labor - that's about as tech as we'll get 'til we're back home.

(Speaking of which, O. still does love the White Stripes. No white stripes on the labor mix, though. Lots of Maxwell and Yo La Tengo...)

(Also, I meant to say this ages ago, but Orange, if you're out there, you get an award for the Oral Hygiene Queen comment that made me laugh the loudest and longest for your description of prenatal pelvic multitasking on the post before this one.)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

Hope you are doing well and babe is on the way soon.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Orange said...

Wait, you laughed? You didn't accomplish the multitasking? C'mon, now! You know how hard it'll be to find the time when you've got two kids? This was your big chance.

Baby yet??

7:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

(I wish these had the dates, and not just the times so I would know how long ago you posted that there was no baby yet...)

Here's hoping you've had the dear little sprite, as painlessly and as smoothly as possible!!! (You are so fairy-like in appearance that I picture a daughter of yours having to nearly have wings...)

big hugs and happy wishes!!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home