My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Keep on Rockin' in the Ninth Month

"Stop arguing! Let's just rock!"

These words came out of four-year-old O's mouth last night as he stood up from the dinner table. We had just made a plan to go down to the basement and rock, then go get ice cream, and the Old Man and I were engaged in an impassioned discussion (I wouldn't say argument) about what kind of ice cream to get later. O's priorities were focused on a higher goal. So we dropped the ice cream debate and went down to rock out.

O. now has a complete, real drum set. Little by little, we've replaced the various parts he's broken on the kiddie kit we got him for his third birthday with the genuine article: a Zildjian crash cymbal here, a Ludwig snare there. We've been promising to get him a high hat at some point before long, and a real kick drum and tom perhaps by his fifth birthday. But recently a friend who is leaving town offered to sell us his Pearl kick drum and toms and his Paiste high hat for a scandalously low price, and we had to do it. O. is dwarfed by this drum kit, but damned if he can't rock steady on it.

I myself recently entered the last month of my pregnancy. My baby is now officially full-term and theoretically could be born any day (though I'm hoping she'll wait 'til a bit closer to the due date to arrive). Feeling very waddle-ly and cumbersome, I'm finding myself winded by exertions that wouldn't have fazed me just a couple of weeks ago. But I'm still up for rocking, especially now that O's new and improved drum kit has brought about a renewed burst of enthusiasm for the family band. Last night, as I strummed out barre chords while my guys held down the beat on drums and bass, I found myself wondering whether we'll be able to keep this up when the baby is born. It's fun to play just me on guitar and O. on drums, and I like listening to my Old Man and O. play when they're in the basement and I'm upstairs, but it's just not the same as all three of us playing together. I tried to envision a little two-month-old in a bouncy chair smiling along to the beat of her brother's drumming, head haloed by a big pair of noise reducing headphones. Could that possibly work?

Then it occurred to me that she was there, had been there and listening for every bit of rocking we've done since we returned from the East Coast. Can it be that listening to her family play loud, crashing music in utero will make her feel more amenable to hanging out while we rock once she's born? One can only hope.

So, does anyone know of a brand of really good headphones that come in infant sizes?

5 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I predict it'll only be a few months or so before you've got a new member of your band. It just remains to be seen what her specialty will be - keyboards? vocals? accordion?

10:27 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I don't know about headphones, but you have the coolest family ever.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Hey, I saw Apple wearing a pair at her fathers concert that were just as cute as cute could be - There have GOT to be some out there.

I mean, just cause we can reproduce doesn't mean we HAVE to stop being cool

4:08 PM  
Blogger Imez said...

My god your family so cool. So cool you're arctic.

I bet you hardly ever watch TV, huh?

8:50 AM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

I've got my money on a "non-rock instrument amplified to rock" like French Horn, flute, or bassoon. But that's the latent middle school band director in me. Hang in there. You and your bairn will keep on rockin', through the 9th month and beyond.

The Oral Hygiene family is indeed, the coolest family ever! We miss you guys already.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home