My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Big News

Well, I meant to write this post earlier in the week, but it’s been hard to get done all the things I really want to do given that I’m sleeping ten hours a night, that a sudden urge to bake a loaf of banana bread tends to trump whatever other task I’ve set out for a given hour, and that figuring out what to wear to school tomorrow currently involves 45 minutes of rifling through my closet trying to find those pants I used to wear back when I wore my pants much baggier than I have been lately.

That’s right: I’m pregnant. I’m at the happy point where my two months of horrible nausea seems to have abated, and at the awkward point where none of my real pants fit me but it’s a little early to bust out the maternity clothes. I’m excited. My Old Man is excited. Both of us are a bit daunted. O. is really, really excited, and not a bit daunted. “I’m going to teach the baby everything you guys taught me!” he says. And he’s already decided how this new development will impact the family rock band: the baby will play keyboards.

And so the big decision has been made. If you know me and have asked whether we planned this (and a surprising number of people ask that question), you have received one of two answers:

1. “It wasn’t planned, but it wasn’t really unplanned, either.”

2. “Yes, and boy did we get pregnant quickly!”

And we did get pregnant quickly. Like several months before we thought we'd turn the big decision over to fate and have that marvelous six months of unprotected sex. The night this baby was conceived, I can assure you that procreation was the furthest thing from our minds. But it also happens that I’d recently started taking prenatal vitamins (a bottle I’d bought months earlier on sale, thinking we might need them before long) and that somewhere in the vicinity of that night I can recall remarking to my Old Man, “You know, having Christmas at home this year really made me feel open to the possibility of having another kid.”

So it seems that fate has spoken, perhaps in unison with our own unconscious impulses. And we join an established family tradition of not-strictly-planned children. My mother-in-law at the slightest provocation will tell the story of how she and my Old Man’s dad deliberated over whether to have a third baby or to buy a woodstove. They picked the woodstove. “And then a couple months later, we found out we were getting the baby, too!” Luckily for everyone, that baby turned out to be an easy child and a sweet person. I myself was a resoundingly unplanned baby, conceived as I was during September of my mother’s sophomore year of college and outside the bonds of holy matrimony (but not for long!). I also like to think of myself as having been conceived in the backseat of a car in the Steak 'n Shake parking lot, but there is no factual basis for this. (What? You know me and I’ve told you that I indeed was conceived in the parking lot of the Steak 'n Shake? And you accepted it as gospel truth? Well, aren’t you glad you read my blog so you get to learn the real deal?) And, from what I’m told, I ended up being an easy child and something of a sweetheart myself. So hopefully the family tradition will continue, temperament-wise. Our arms and hearts are open, in any case.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is lovely news. Thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Bored Housewife said...

I'm jumping up and down!!! I'm so, incredibly, super-duper excited for you guys!!!!!!! That is one lucky little fetus. What a grand life he/she is going to have!!

kisses and hugs and probably a very girlie little squeal o' delight--

3:20 PM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

Let's try that again:

Hooray! This is such awesome news. And O. will be an outstanding older brother/band leader.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was in fact present when Oral Hygiene Queen was conceived (making me, I suppose, the Queen Mum) and although it makes a good story, I regretfully have to inform the readership that it didn't take place anywhere so cool as the back seat of a car at the Steak 'n' Shake. (I'm not revealing where it DID take place.)

I'm also here to tell you that what seemed at the time (given that I was not-yet 19, a supposedly good Catholic girl, and definitely unmarried) like a very unfortunate predicament turned out to be a gift of the highest and most precious order. I'm very blessed to have a daughter who was not only wonderful as a child but who turned out to be a best friend. Now I also have a grandson who is in the running (along with J.Q., of course) for the title of "World's Greatest," and though I would have been a content grandma even if O.H.Q. and her Old Man had stopped at one, now I get to anticipate double the pleasure, double the fun...

jpn

11:52 AM  
Blogger DoctorMama said...

Well, that is lovely news, and I'm very happy for you ...

... but I admit that after the buildup, I was hoping to hear a story something along the lines of alien abduction and impregnation.

(Perhaps that IS what really happened?)

7:47 AM  
Blogger Imez said...

wow. wow. wow.

I still remember so clearly your discussion on the pros and cons of having an only child. It's great that it don't matter now.

Congratulations, you wonderful blogger.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That is great news. I hope O. takes to his new sibling better than our Buzzy has taken to Miss F. (born 10/06). "Mama! Miss F. touched my hand" is a typical complaint these days.

I volunteer to teach the baby all of Ray Manzarek's magnificent keyboard jams. Heh.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was right - yippee yi yay! Congrats to you, Old Man, and O. And I should out myself as the anonymous commenter. Didn't meant to be mysterious, just inept at blog comments.

-Other E (of E & O)

12:04 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Thanks, Other E! It's nice to know that the person who guessed what was going on within my very innards is someone I know. That makes it cool. (Otherwise, it would've been a little creepy.)

Good luck with your own gestation project. I look forward to our little ones hanging out.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa Blah Blah said...

VERY BELATEDLY: Happy Gestation Project! And congratulations! I'm looking forward to all your adventures as an Oral Hygiene Foursome!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home