My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sick, Sick, Sick


The Old Man, Little O, and I just returned from a whirlwind trip to attend my Brooklyn sister-in-law's wedding in scenic Basking Ridge, New Jersey. (Faithful readers may recall my good-natured attempts to derail the traditional trappings of this sister-in-law's bridal shower back in July.) We arrived on Friday and learned that the bride was sick, with a bad cold that had morphed into a sinus infection. What a nightmare. She held up like a trooper during the wedding rehearsal and the three-hour-long rehearsal dinner. Still, we were all a bit worried.

Saturday morning, the day of the big wedding, O. woke up coughing. He was listless and warm to the touch, and more alarmingly he refused all food, including the sugary yogurt and baked-goods-amounting-to-cake on offer at the hotel's continental breakfast. Now O. was sick, a problem in itself, but much more because he was the ring bearer and, as the only kid in the wedding, solely responsible for the cute factor in the day's events.

Luckily, after sacking out for two hours immediately following breakfast, O. affected one of those miraculous transformations that only children seem capable of. He woke up alert, hungry, and ready to romp. The Old Man and I went with him and his grandparents to the quaint restaurant adjoining the rustic inn where we were staying (an establishment that actually sported a sign proclaiming "George Washington slept here.") We all slurped down a bowl of their pumpkin bisque, and O. offered a running commentary on the excellence of the soup and the soup-eating progress of every member of our party. After making the extremely cute and confusing comment that "you can put pumpkin soup in your mouth in surprising ways!" O. slurped another spoonful and exclaimed "It came in my mouth!" After that he'd periodically shout, as one or the other of us downed a spoonful, "It came in your mouth!" He's three, and I knew he meant something along the lines of "Huzzah! You have successfully transported a mouthful of this delightful soup into your mouth!" but I still found it unbearably funny each time he announced the soup's arrival. I managed not to laugh, even though O. repeated this exclamation at least eight times. But it was not easy.

Later, when my Old Man and I were alone, I asked him, "Were you having trouble not laughing when O. kept saying that the soup was 'coming in our mouth'?" My Old Man looked at me with a mix of skepticism and tolerant sympathy. "No, E. He's three. I knew what he meant. It did occur to me that there was a double meaning, but..." This from a man who is a connoisseur of lewd humor and scatological jokes. So I knew then that this little lunch incident was evidence that I'm sick, sicker than average.

The wedding went off without a hitch. Through some combination of rest, endorphins, and pharmaceuticals, the bride was feeling fine. O. garnered much admiration in his little tux, ably bearing the rings and tearing up the dance floor at the reception. My Old Man and I got to do some dancing cheek-to-cheek and pelvis-to-pelvis. O. stayed up past his bedtime, but still we saw little evidence of his earlier ill health.

I, on the other hand, woke up this morning with a sore throat and a headache. Sick.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Star said...

I am as sick as you, m'dear--in the head, not with a cold...I hope you get well quickly. I am a devoted follower of the Airborne fizzy pills, if you're into that sorta thing. Cures me good.

But back to the pervo factor...don't feel so bad. I'm with ya, I'm with ya. Reminds me of the "I love sleeping with mommy. Do YOU love sleeping with mommy?" (directed at daddy) when they were 3 or so...aww...

9:28 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Yes, I've recently become an Airborne fan, and I've been downing the fizzy stuff a couple times a day and am actually feeling much better.

Funny you should mention it, because we had a big debate about Airborne at brunch the day after the wedding. My other sister-in-law's beau was making light of her belief in Airborne, and she (a teacher) and my mother-in-law (a teacher) and me and my Old Man (both teachers) and the bride were all testifying to its efficacy.

Cute story. I'll bet your husband said "Yes, I do love sleeping with Mommy!"

8:07 AM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

i am right there in the sick club with you - and shamefully so...i wouldn't have been able to keep from laughing, though. and i would have been tolerated and perhaps disapproved of for my sickness. but you know, if you can't make yourself laugh, then no one is laughing.

feel better.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Imez said...

Oh come on. "It came in my mouth." There is just no way around that, it is FUNNY. Well, maybe more disturbing than funny. No, wait. Actually, you're a terrible person.

For Shame, E.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Lisa Blah Blah said...

I would have had a lot of trouble not laughing at that myself, and the fact that is would be inappropriate to laugh would just make it all the more difficult not to.

Sorry you're sick. I have had a sore throat for well over a week now and I keep forgetting to take Airborne. If I could only figure out where I put it...

10:57 AM  
Blogger Orange said...

"It came in your mouth!" is right on a par with my kid saying at the grocery store that he didn't want a baby cucumber—"I want a man-sized one." Except your kid evoked images of bodily fluids, and mine didn't.

"It came in your mouth!"? Yeah, you might want to floss.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

Ha ha, Orange! Although that is a great O. story, my favorite remains O's insisting "I want my Big Dick!" after his large stick was taken away from him. Hope everyone is feeling better at Chez Oral Hygiene soon.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog

krz

http://www.usachatnow.com

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sister said

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home