My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I floss daily, brush after every meal, and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries.

RSS Feed

Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Swinging Weekend

On Saturday, I drove to a nearby swing state with some friends, got myself fifteen minutes of training at Obama Headquarters, strapped my baby to my back, and hit the streets to canvas for Barack Obama. It felt good. It was heartening. I'm trying to figure out a way to go back and do it again before or on election day.

Gentle readers, Obama has to win this election. Has to. And I know all indications look good right now, but after 2000 and 2004, I'm not taking anything for granted.

If you live in a swing state, go out and try your damnedest to make that state swing the right way. Don't worry about having to argue with undecided voters; The Obama for America people won't send you to any of those. At this point, it's all about getting to the registered voters who are likely to vote Obama if they vote and urging them to get to the polls on November 4th, or preferably earlier. (With record numbers of new voters registered this year, every person who votes early will make it possible for four additional voters to vote on election day.)

And if you don't live in a swing state, consider a road trip. Better yet, a road trip with a few of your Obama-loving friends. Make yourself a mix tape, pick up some fresh donuts for the road, and let's try to make this election an unstealable landslide.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos, E!

I'm in Pittsburgh doing exactly that for the next two weeks.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You make me want to stand up and SING!!! Except I can't sing very well...maybe just shout. :) I feel very strongly about this election now that it's so close...early on, I just said, "As long as it's not George Bush!!" and I'll still be relieved to have him gone, no matter who replaces him because...could there BE anyone worse than him??? I doubt it. But I disagree with McCain's ideas about taxation and I disagree with the general republican tenets of anti-abortion and anti-homosexual and PRO oil and..........!!!!!!!!!!! Harumph.

Yes. It is imperative that he win.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama is SO going to win. Not only because my 2 year old loves saying his name and it is the first word he can read, but because my totally racist dad who said, and I quote "I'm more likely to vote for a woman than a black man" is now voting for Obama. Friggin miricle! The republicans have no choice and really, it's going to happen!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Halleluiah! Thank you so much for giving of yourself and your time. I am a nervous wreck thinking about the election tomorrow. He absolutely has to win.
I'm not in a swing state, but my husband did spend most of Sat. and Sun. at Obama HQ doing data entry for them.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home